Spent part of a week down in Jamaica, but didn’t take any equipment along. I thought about it, but some comments around the interwebs weren’t particularly encouraging. We were in a second floor room with a balcony, so I might have been able to bootleg a 15 meter vertical dipole.
Anyway, here’s a picture to make you jealous:
The MFJ booth at Ham Com
Getting a bite for lunch
Everybody wanted one of these
The ICOM booth
A surprise came in yesterday’s mail: an envelope from the W5 buro with a nice batch of cards inside. Thanks also to OM2VL, SF7WT, RU3ZX, EA8ZS, OR7R, and ES5QD for the nice cards.
The last one puzzled me for a bit, as I had only one QSO logged on the date of the card, from a Japanese station. It finally hit me that that date was when I was traveling from Texas to Los Angeles, and making QSOs that I didn’t log.
I have sent answering cards back via the buro to all these stations. Thanks again, guys.
Just received an LOTW QSL from HC2/W7SE, giving me 100 countries confirmed. Application is already in to ARRL.
Been this way for several weeks now. There are several stations in the log that are LOTW participants who either haven’t uploaded lately or didn’t get my call into their log when they did upload, so here I am, one short of DXCC.
Does your Yaesu VX-series HT look like this?
The plastic belt clips are notorious for breaking. There is a solution. Buy a cellphone clip for Nokia phones. I found mine at Amazon:
Nokia Belt Clip for Nokia 5100, 6100, and 7100 Series Phones
Remove the old broken clip by unscrewing:
There is a small hook-shaped metal clip on the end of the Nokia button whcih is designed to slip under the battery cover on the phone. It is held in place by a rivet. We don’t need it for the Yaesu, so use a drill bit slightly larger than the hole in the rivet and drill it out.
Now the screw for the clip will fit easily into the hole. Attach the new button clip to the Yaesu:
Voila! A new, sturdy, easy to use belt clip holder for the Yaesu HT.
Big tip of the hat to KB2LJJ for this idea. His technique suggests cutting off the clip, I think drilling out the rivet is a neater solution.